PEER is excited to welcome intelligent and dedicated students to the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Below are some starting points that can provide insight into what PEER is and what it can provide.
The academic programs can students apply to that qualify for a PEER fellowship:
- Biochemistry & Cellular and Molecular Biology
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering
- Comparative & Experimental Medicine
- Ecology & Evolutionary Biology
- Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
- Entomology & Plant Pathology
- Genome Science and Technology
What PEER looks for in a student:
- Students must have an interest in doing research at a STEM-discipline Ph.D program at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
- Students have to be committed to pursuing leadership and career-development opportunities.
- Students should express interest in balancing professional development with research/academic obligations.
At-a-glance benefits of PEER:
- A salary of $25,000/year plus tuition & health insurance for the first two years of doctoral-level study at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- After students advance out of PEER, students are positioned to receive either a Teaching Assistantship or Research Assistantship from the supporting program or department.
- An Individual Development Plan that helps students identify their research and career goals, organize skill development and communicate goals to mentors and research advisors.
- Funding for conference travel.
- Mentorship opportunities from experienced PEER scholars, faculty researchers and University administration.